Packed Lunch Advice
Liberty Primary School Packed Lunch Advice
Content of Packed Lunches
We ask that where possible, packed lunches be based on the Children’s Food Trust’s standards and should include the following:
- Fruit and Vegetables; at least one portion of fruit and one portion of vegetables o Protein; meat, fish, egg or other source of non-dairy protein (e.g. lentils, kidney beans, chickpeas, hummus or dhal)
- Oily Fish; such as tinned or fresh mackerel, sardines, salmon, tuna o Carbohydrate; starchy food such as bread, pasta, rice, couscous, noodles, potatoes, chapattis and roti.
- Dairy; food such as milk, cheese, yoghurt, fromage frais, or calcium fortified Soya products, reduced fat versions of these should be used where possible.
- Drinks; water, pure fruit juice (no added sugar), semi-skimmed or skimmed milk, reduced fat and sugar yoghurt, milk drinks or smoothies. NO FIZZY DRINKS
- Puddings; should be fruit or dairy based such as fruit salad, tinned fruit, yoghurt, custard or rice pudding.
Foods to avoid or limit each week: Try to only have these 1 or 2 times a week
- Meat products such as sausage rolls, individual pies, corned meat and sausages.
Packed lunches should not include any of the following:
- Fizzy/sugary drinks in cartons e.g. Capri Sun, bottles or cans (including diet or energy drinks which can contain high levels of caffeine and other additives which are not suitable for children)
- Confectionary such as chocolate bars and sweets
- Chocolate spread as sandwich filling
- Nuts and products containing any nuts or nut oil
- Cold processed food, such as: chicken nuggets, chips, pizza or burgers.
Special diets and allergies
We ask that parents/carers be aware of nut allergies. The school recognises that some pupils may require special diets that do not follow the Children’s Food Standards exactly. In this case parents/carers are asked to make sure that packed lunches are as healthy as possible. For these reasons pupils are also not permitted to swap food items. As some children in school have nut allergies we ask parents to refrain from including food containing nuts in lunches. This includes all types of nuts and nut based oils.
If children have any of these products in their packed lunches, they will be kept in the office and parents will need to collect them after school.
We ask that parents please check the labels on products as they may contain hidden ingredients.